Tuesday 26 November 2013

(Don't) start up brewing

It’s the second day of my Start up Brewing course at Brewlab. Tomorrow is a nice easy day with a visit to a few local microbreweries and a beery lunch at the wonderfully quirky Big Lamp Brewery. But the first two days have been intense. In summary: I found the review of ingredients fascinating, I found the marketing  and branding piece particularly interesting, I enjoyed learning how to create new beer recipes and like the idea of exploiting new markets, I also found I am good at detecting problems with beer through bad flavours and odours, but I got thoroughly confused by the brewing process.  

So it seems I am destined for a marketing role, and perhaps quality control (tasting) one rather than becoming a master brewer. I also like the idea of becoming an accredited beer sommelier – judging beers and matching them to foods.  However, I still can’t work out whether Brewlab are trying to put us off or not, I think the course should be renamed Don’t Start up Brewing. But it’s all too late, I am committed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment